The Greendale Historical Society held our second annual Diamond-T Fund Raising Luncheon in June to help with our 1938 Diamond-T Fire Engine – Greendale’s first new fire engine. The 1938 Diamond-T is fully owned, operated, maintained and being restored by the Greendale Historical Society.
The luncheon was a success, but we can always use your help. If you were not able to attend the luncheon, please consider a generous donation to continue the support of keeping the Diamond-T running and being restored.
As seen on TMJ4 News
After the luncheon, we were able to park the D-T in the original Greendale Fire Station apparatus room one last time and then drive it out on a call once more as well. The building is being renovated/restored by J&J Contractors for their business offices and showroom. The last time the Diamond-T was in the garage was over 50 years ago.
Bringing the Diamond-T Home One Last Time
Going On a Call One Last Time
New in 1938
Being Restored Today
New Fire Engine
1938 Diamond T
1938 Diamond T
Through the Years
Help Support the Diamond T Restoration!
Every cent donated to the Diamond T Fund will go directly towards the acquisition of more period equipment, regular maintenance, repairs, and someday the re-painting of the entire engine to it's original 1938 appearance. Original period photos are being used as a template for its restoration.
Put in Service for the Village of Greendale on September 1, 1938
The Greendale Review - September 10, 1938
The Greendale Volunteer Fire Department is now the proud custodian of a brand, spanking-new Howe-built, fire fighting combination. The unit is constructed on a Diamond T chassis, and comprises a Howe centrifugal pump, ladders, fire extinguishers, an auxiliary water tank of 200 gallons capacity, 1000 feet of 2-1/2 inch hose, 450 feet of 1-1/2 inch hose, and 150 feet 1 inch hose. The pumping unit has a rated capacity of 500 gallons of water per minute, although this output can be increased to 700 gallons (as demonstrated at the initial tryout) at a shaft speed of 2850 R.P.M. The 95 horsepower Diamond T engine does the work.
Where the engine has been since 1938
The truck was used by the Greendale Fire Department until 1970 when it was sold to a collector.
Between 1970 and 1985 the whereabouts of the truck are unknown.
In 1985 it was found in a Milwaukee south-side junk yard - sold to an employee at a local automotive body shop and then purchased by a Milwaukee collector that restored it and featured it in Greendale's 50th Anniversary parade in 1988.
From 1990 to 2015 it was owned by collectors in Lake Mills, Wisconsin, Lawton, Michigan, Santa Clara, Utah and then Randolph, New Jersey.
In October, 2015, Steve Cohrs, the New Jersey collector, donated it to the Greendale Historical Society.
The cost of transport to Greendale was donated by Al Emmons.
All expenses for the Diamond-T have been paid by donations from private donors.
The Diamond-T is owned, operated, and insured by the Greendale Historical Society, Inc. on behalf of the entire community.
The 1938 Diamond-T arrived back in Greendale on November 13, 2015 after being away for 45 years.
1938 Diamond T Update
Recently we needed to have the engine's clutch rebuilt and it drained our Diamond T Fund. We also purchased a vintage fire nozzle to install on the engine's running board. Your generous donation will help us to continue to repair and restore this historical part of Greendale