Greendale’s Story: A National Historic Landmark
Greendale was originally developed in 1936 as part of President Franklin Roosevelt’s New Deal in the wake of the Great Depression. With the purchase of 3,400 acres of farmland southwest of Milwaukee’s city limits, the federal government’s Resettlement Administration had three main objectives: to demonstrate a new kind of suburban community which combined both city and country life, to provide good housing at reasonable rents, and to provide jobs to unemployed workers. Greendale was designated as a National Historic Landmark in 2013.
Below you will find highlights and information about the history of Greendale, Wisconsin.
The Greendale Schools has six superintendents since 1938.read more
The Village streets were given temporary names during construction. One name of Filbert Street. The name was changed after it was found that people refused to live on a street named Filbert.read more
What did the Broad Street businesses look like when the Village opened in 1939?read more
A model house, with furnishings designed especially for the project, opened in Greendale at 5503 Acorn Court on February 7, 1937.read more
Village designers viewed basements as “old fashioned, unnecessary and expensive.” Instead of basements, Greendale Originals have crawl spaces.read more
The three greenbelt communities are Greenbelt, Maryland, out-side Washington, D.C.; Greenhills, Ohio, north of Cincinnati; and Greendale, Wisconsin.read more
Using a keen eye and his camera John Vachon documented life in the early days of the Village of Greendale for the Farm Security Administration.read more
The former Greendale Cooperative Service Station stands at 6601 Northway, just west of Parking Street.read more
The Greendale Municipal Court was created in 1938. The first judge to preside over the Greendale Municipal Court was Fabian Strong, who served from 1938-1949.read more
Hauser was commissioned by the Special Skills Division of the U. S. Resettlement Administration to design a ﬂagpole sculpture for Greendale in 1938.read more
Did you know that the Fire Department and Police Department were located same building (the old Police Station) in the Village Center?read more
Greendale was primarily a project to employ laborers during the Depression. But they also aimed to build on the “garden city” model, in which housing was situated within easy access of gardens, employment, and a town center.read more
Greendale was originally developed in 1936 as part of President Franklin Roosevelt’s New Deal in the wake of the Great Depression.read more